In the field of assessment
· Designing and implementing projects to assess the Basque Autonomous Community education system that it is put in charge of.
· Preparing quality indicators for the Basque education system.
· Preparing assessment tools for special educational needs.
· Assessing the experimentation processes promoted by the Sub-Department of Education.
· Designing in collaboration with the Education Inspection Department the assessment processes carried out by the Institute and the Inspection Department.
· Preparing the reports including the assessment carried out and the resulting proposals for improvements to be presented to the Governing Board.
· Informing the Department of Education, Universities and Research and the school community, about the results of assessments, in accordance with the decisions taken by the Governing Board.
· Collaborating on teaching-training, at the suggestion of the Education Innovation Directorate.
· Taking part as a technical department of the Basque Autonomous Community in the National Quality and Assessment Institute and collaborating with other Institutions in its fields of competence.
· Collaborating with the Directorates and Sections of the Department of Education, Universities and Research with regard to assessment in its fields of competence.
In the field of research
· Encouraging lines of research, studies, and in general, putting forward to the education authorities any initiatives and suggestions that may help to increase quality and improve education.
· Analysing social demands for education and students’ educations needs and putting forward innovative proposals to guide educational initiatives.
· Carrying out research on special educational needs and responses to these.
· Collaborating with regional support services on the experimentation processes that it is put in charge of; on advising the schools that take part in experiments, and on preparing the materials required for this.
· Preparing any technical-pedagogical reports that the Department of Education, Universities and Research asks it to produce.
· Getting to know and analysing educational research and experiments to improve the Basque education system.
· Taking part in international research and Exchange programmes in its field of competence.
· Collaborating on teacher-training, at the suggestion of the Educational Innovation Directorate, especially on matters related to experimentation projects.
· Collaborating with Directorates and Sections of the Department of Education, Universities and Research on research in its fields of competence.
In the field of documentation
· Collecting and analysing the documentation, curricular materials, teaching resources and technical aids that are useful in education.
· Creating a computer file with useful documentation, materials, resources and technical aids in education.
· Providing information about available teaching resources for Support Sections and schools.
· Providing the Department of Education, Universities and Research and its Sections with information and documentation on educational publications, data banks, materials and resources.
· Preparing materials and educational resources that improve quality in education.